Friday, March 9, 2012

Insomnia, Full Moons, and Flannel Quilts

Sometimes do you wake up, completely awake, like you’ve slept all night, only to figure out that it’s in the middle of the night?  I do this often. Often enough so that seeing the clock registering 3:05 a.m. didn’t surprise me. Nor did it dismay me as I knew I didn’t have to work today, so if I got tired later I’d just go back to sleep.
          There was no outstanding reason behind the insomnia this time. No stomach upset; my brain wasn’t going around like a whirling dervish with things to do at work or at home; I wasn’t hungry; I wasn’t even hurting too much—at least not enough that that could be the culprit. Maybe it was the moon. I’m not kidding you. There is a full moon out there that had the back yard lit up like mid-day when I looked out, and my insomnia is worse during the full moon periods.          
still love horses and this one loves apples
               I remember when I was a young teenager in Cornville and there were moons like this in the summer. A few times, when I was spending the night with my friend Vickie, we went out in a big pack and walked the hills where the moon would reflect on the white caliche cliffs and make it so bright it was truly like walking during the day. There were always any number of kids, boys and girls, at Vickie’s house during the summer—her mom Martha treated us all like her own, there was a swimming pool, horses to ride, cows to milk, ping pong tables inside when it was too hot, books to read, Nana to wonder what she was going to come up with next (we just thought her to be eccentric as Alzheimers was not something that had a name at that time) and a rooster who liked to chase tennis shoes that we’d throw into the yard, where he’d run to them, and hump ‘em (we always said we were going to be overrun with roosters in tennis shoes or tennis shoes made of feathers), and an atmosphere of freedom and fun that wasn’t especially prevalent in other homes.
           And if you had questions, you weren’t embarrassed or afraid to ask them and they’d usually get answered too. Sometimes Bill, her dad, would give us outrageous answers, or roll his eyes and mutter about having no brains, but most of the time, the atmosphere and treatment were fair and loving. In fact, even when we were asking questions because we were dumber than bags of dirt, it was fair treatment! So tonight when I saw that bright moon, it brought back the memories of fun and outrageousness that were part of my childhood.
          Being wide awake, I decided not to waste the time. I got up and put on my fleece pullover over my nightgown and my hubby’s slippers to keep warm (great outfit—Vogue would be here with cameras for this innovative style if only they knew—Adele would have nothing on me). First I did up the dishes that were left from dinner, being too lazy to do them at that time. Then having just read about Overnight Oatmeal, decided to do it. The crock pot was washed and ready to go, so I put it together. Since I didn’t have all night to let it cook, I turned it on high to just get it going and went about my business.
1st 3 rows of flannel quilt
the studio with quilt in progress
          That business was quilting. I went into the work shop and finished putting together the last four quilt strips. I am doing an all flannel quilt. The top is different flannel plaids from shirts to pajamas, that I have gotten from my own stash, my hubby’s shirts, thrift shops, and donations. Then I am using red flannel strips to pull it all together. Not sure of the backing nor binding yet, but I’ll figure it out once I see the top finished. After a couple of hours, had to quit as my neck was hurting, but have all the blocks sewn together, and three of the seven block strips sewn together. Will work on the other four later today, and hope to have the top completed before Blue Bloods comes on at 9:00 p.m. tonight. It won’t be perfect or show quality as using recycled materials doesn’t always come down to perfection, but it’s very satisfying knowing you’re reused and recycled fabric that may have just gone to waste or the landfill. Plus I know it’s going to be warm and soft and will feel great on cold winter nights.
          Speaking of cold winter nights, I’m VERY tired of winter. For a few days the temps rose and it was beautiful and I was so hoping for a continuance. I knew it was pure folly on my part---it’s only the beginning of March. But I’m exceptionally tired of winter this year. So when I looked out the window Wednesday afternoon and snow was drifting down and blowing around in a dance like demented fairies, I was not happy. It’s not pretty any more, and I want sun and warmth now.  Tuesday there were 55 mph winds, and I swear they were blowing in straight from the Arctic Circle. It was frigid!  Same with last Friday. Roy and I were out doing the weekly shopping and every time I’d come out of a shop or store it would take my breath away. So to say I  not in a great mood about the cold is a real understatement. There is hope for some warm up over this weekend. And I cannot cross my fingers enough.
          If it does warm up, there are some garden beds which need attention. I must water the garlic I planted 2 weeks ago, and give the strawberries, roses, and marigolds that are coming up a drink too. But mainly need to pull the weeds and grasses out of the beds and rake out the straw, so I can get the yellow and red onions planted…one bed of each.  Beets and carrots should go in too, but will wait until back from Palm Springs for them.
          March and April are lining up to be darn hectic, so this is about the last free time I’ll have for myself until the first of May. Maybe that’s the underlying cause of the middle of the night wake up---finding time for myself to commune with me, a new recipe, and my sewing machine. There couldn’t be any better reasons in my book. 
          So whip up a pot of Overnight Oatmeal for your family, or for company (great way to serve a warm delicious breakfast without having to get up 2 hours ahead of everyone), and start your day with a warm full tummy. 
             
            OVERNIGHT OATMEAL
Makes 6 servings
OATMEAL:
3 c milk                 
1 ½ c steel cut oats                 
½ c. dark brown sugar    
¾ t. salt

TOPPING:
2 apples, cored and diced      
2 T dark brown sugar              
3 T dried cranberries or raisins
3 T chopped walnuts


Oatmeal:  Coat a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine milk, 3 c water, oats, ¼ c. brown sugar, and salt in slow cooker. Cover and cook overnight on LOW for 9 ½ to 10 hours.  Uncover and stir in remaining ¼ c. brown sugar. Re-cover, and turn off heat.


Topping:  Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add apples and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar, 1 T water and dried cranberries. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in nuts.


     Stir oatmeal in slow cooker until smooth. Spoon about a cup into a bowl and add a few tablespoons of the topping. Serve warm

You can also cook the apple mixture the day before, seal in a microwave proof container, and then heat up the next morning just before serving the oatmeal. Great way to feed guests in a hurry without making a kitchen mess and without having to get up 2 hours early!!!  Serving size ½ cup.

1 comment: