Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bountiful Basket Saturday

I dislike working on Saturdays, but alas, until I find a replacement (impossible) for our dear Kelly at work, that’s my plight.  I am so grateful to have had her helping me for the past 6 months, especially during my surgery and recovery. Because of her I was able to take my recovery easy and not fret about what was NOT getting done or being taken care of at work. I knew students and inquiries were all being given the best of care, and any problems that arose she would solve. It was a God send and I am so happy that  now she has a full time benefitted job that will use her skills and degree more profitably for her. I however will miss her.
But I have to say with all candor, this Saturday was not too bad, and even included a trip to pick up fresh produce from Bountiful Baskets prior to going in to work. Do you know about Bountiful Baskets? It’s fabulous…you place your order on-line on Monday or Tuesday, you receive a basket of fruit and a basket of vegetables (whatever is there, you do not get to choose) for $15.00 plus $1.50 handling. You pay for it over the internet with your Visa/MC, and then on Saturday, pick up your basket. Now this is available in many states, so check the web site at bountifulbaskets.org.  it is a volunteer effort and there is not a week that goes by that I feel we do not get more than our money’s worth. Plus you get a variety of fruits and vegetables not of your choosing, so you get to try and use them in your weekly meals, thus adding more fruits and veges to your diet…this is a good thing!
 Although I felt it a little short in the vegetable department this week (romaine lettuce, asparagus, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, green beans), it truly was bountiful in the fruit department—fresh pineapple, casaba melon, pineapple, bananas, oranges, apples…yum!  But best of all, in the vege department was a big head of cauliflower. I am so thrilled to receive cauliflower since finding an amazing delicious outstanding recipe in Mary Jane’s Farm (a great magazine on country living, organic gardening, home lifestyle, etc.) a few months ago.  It is for Curried-Cashew Cauliflower and we love it!  It’s simple, healthy, nutritious, and delicious—what more can you ask.  And for all my vegetarian friends, it’s perfect for you too!

Curried-Cashew Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
½ cup organic cashew butter  (if you can’t find this, which is the problem I’m having, just use ½ c. of raw cashews and some extra olive oil, blending together in the blender and adding more olive oil until you get the consistency of creamy peanut butter)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons curry powder (I use Madras Curry Powder as has the taste and flavor I love)
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ c. cashews…raw or roasted…roughly chopped

Preheat the broiler. The rack should be in the top portion of the oven so the cauliflower is about 3-4 inches away from the heat while cooking.  Mix together the cashew butter, curry powder, olive oil and salt. Toss the cauliflower in the mixture, add the chopped cashews and mix again (I use my hands, works great). Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roast the cauliflower under the broiler for 8-10 minutes, until just tender when pierced and golden brown with some crunchiness on the edges. Check halfway through and flip with a spatula if necessary. Remove from the over and serve immediately. Serves 6 as a side dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment